what is Visual Basic? Visual and non-visual programming.
What is VB?
Visual Basic is a third-generation event-driven programming language first released by Microsoft in 1991. It evolved from the earlier DOS version called BASIC. BASIC means Beginners’ All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. Since then Microsoft has released many versions of Visual Basic, from Visual Basic 1.0 to the final version Visual Basic 6.0. Visual Basic is a user-friendly programming language designed for beginners, and it enables anyone to develop GUI window applications easily.
In 2002, Microsoft released Visual Basic.NET(VB.NET) to replace Visual Basic 6. Thereafter, Microsoft declared VB6 a legacy programming language in 2008. Fortunately, Microsoft still provides some form of support for VB6. VB.NET is a fully object-oriented programming language implemented in the .NET Framework. It was created to cater for the development of the web as well as mobile applications. However, many developers still favor Visual Basic 6.0 over its successor Visual Basic.NET.
Visual Programming :
- Visual Programming requires IDE: Integrated Development Environment.
- Visual Programming uses IDE so development of programme can be in done fast even though you don’t know exact language syntax.
- Visual Programming provides visual expression, highlights errors, suggest available methods and properties.
- In Visual Programming, you can create programme, by using elements graphically i.e. GUI.
- With Visual Programming, you can drag drop programme elements, can draw, can click, use menus, forms, dialogue boxes etc.
- Visual programming helps non-programmers to involved in program/logic easily.
Non Visual Programming :
- Non Visual Programming does not require IDE : Integrated Development Environment.
- In Non Visual Programming, there is no IDE, so developer has to be master in language syntax & fast typing as well for the fast development.
- Non Visual Programming does not provide such features.
- In Non Visual Programming, you have to create programme textually, no GUI is there, only Text based interface.
- With Non Visual Programming, You have to write down programme in the form of text only.
- Non Visual programming is difficult but also increase you memory power and logic.